Thursday 19 March 2009

Fat Cats Fiery Tomato Chutney

So, to put off having to do any ironing I decided that Tuesday night was the ideal night to throw together a test batch of the hot tomato chutney recipe I have. It's a really simple recipe actually calling for very simple ingredients so not too expensive or difficult to put together.
Onions
Garlic
Chili
Olive Oil
Tomato Puree
Tinned Tomatoes
White Wine Vinegar
Demerara Sugar
Salt and Ground Black Pepper

Easy!!!

Now I don't know about you but I like food with chili in to noticeably have chili in it so I doubled up on the quantities for chili and used green finger chili's instead of the recommended red chili.





All of the ingredients get thrown in to the pan and the chutney is boiled furiously then simmered until it sets to a good consistency. The pan I had was slightly too small and the result was a hob and tiles smothered in red gloop which was spitting out of the pan like a volcano!!!




Luckily for me (!) I had a friend visiting (thank you Rachel) to help me taste test half way through the boiling...we came to the conclusion that the chili was maybe a bit too subtle for the chutney to be labelled 'hot' so I added two more chilli's at this stage...so now there was triple the amount of chili in the chutney than the recipe actually called for!! As you can imagine, once boiled down further and when it was done and ready to be spooned into jars the chutney is now fiercely hot!! I LOVE IT! However, the jars are going to have to be labelled Fiery Tomato Chutney rather than Hot Tomato Chutney as a warning to those who prefer their heat to be a little more subtle!
Still, it tastes great, looks good and I'm very happy with the way the first batch turned out!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment