Thursday 19 March 2009

Steak au Poivre


I had a good friend over for dinner last night and he's a picky eater...nothing exotic and he will not eat vegetables!! Well, nothing that resembles a vegetable anyway! So what to cook him? Will steak and chips do I ask? Perfect was the answer. Can I serve any veg / salad? He replies that he likes processed peas from a tin. That I can do!!!


I bought two nice fillet steaks (which is unusual because I bought them from the local supermarket and I don't rate their butchers at all). But I'm sat thinking that I might want to jazz them up a little, if I'm cooking dinner for someone I like it to be a bit special. Plus I rarely get to cook nice meals because as there's just one of me and my cat there seems little point in doing meals which are a.) fattening and b.) rich!


So, what to do with the steak? Myself and the friend are both trying to maintain a healthy ish diet and both attend the gym on a regular basis so a cream pepper sauce was out of the question.


Delia provided me with a wonderful peppered alternative in her Classic Steak au Poivre and even though I don't like frying anything...I much prefer the good old grill...it went down a storm!!


As my friend saw me putting the red wine in the pan he flinched - even that was considered too exotic for him. However he went back for more sauce to coat his chips (much preferrable to HP sauce!) and the meal was a success!! thank you Delia!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment