Wednesday 8 April 2009

Feeling a little Grated...


Last night was British Carrot and Garlic Chutney night! I bought all of my ingredients:

  • British Carrots

  • Garlic

  • Organic Cyder Vinegar

  • Salt

  • Star Anise

  • Cinnamon

  • Coriander Seeds

  • Ginger

  • Chilies

  • Sugar
...and set about getting all of the ingredients prepared and into the vinegar and spices to marinate for 24 hours before I cook it and jar it all up tonight. I picked this recipe because it's a little different I think from the other chutney recipes I have seen out there (I'd also welcome you all to suggest some other combinations which are unusual!) and I think it should be a very vibrant orange when in the jars. All of the other chutneys are sharing the same colour scheme, purple, brown, red so I'm hoping an orange one will add some sparkle to the mix!


Have you ever grated 2kg of carrots? I have and I'm not looking forward to doing it again. I actually managed to grate my thumb (twice) and a finger. Each injury meant that I had to throw that particular carrot away and clean everything down before resuming. It was probably my own fault for having a glass of red vino on the go at the same time but by the 10th or 11th carrot the wine was more of a necessity than a luxury. I was stood grating for nearly 2 hours!!! My arms are a little sore today, although I'm glad of the mini workout as I haven't managed to get to the gym for the past few weeks!

The mixture is sat marinating nicely and is indeed a great and very bright orange colour which I hope remains once heated and spooned into the jars, I can't think of an ingredient in the mix which will change the colour?...It's sitting very nicely currently on my work top surface just waiting for me to come home tonight (I will of course be attempting to finish off the bottle of red whilst preparing!) I cannot wait to see what it looks like in the jars and more so, to taste it in a few weeks once the vinegar has settled down.
I shall of course be posting an update!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your new adventure Cat. Blog is looking good. I shall be back. xxx

    ReplyDelete