Thursday 9 April 2009

Not so Offal...

I embarked upon my offal experimentations last night (whilst peeling 3 heads of garlic and adding them to the carrot mix for the carrot and garlic chutney, but that’s another story which will be told when it’s all safely in jars!)

Firstly I prepared the Portuguese Liver as it needs marinating overnight…some interesting ingredients in this one and not ones I would usually associate with liver, but as I mentioned I’ve really only had it with mash and gravy or on sandwiches covered in tomato ketchup (seriously try it!) anyway, the recipe calls for:

· 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
· Salt and Black Pepper
· 2 Bay Leaves, crumbled
· 150ml/5 fl.oz. Dry Red Wine
· Juice of 1 Lemon
· Juice of 1 Lime
· 450g/1lb Calves Liver
· 3 tbsp Oil

This amount serves 4 so I scaled it back for just little old me…incidentally the packet of liver is still probably too much for me and cost a grand total of 47p so I’m well on my way to a credit crunch defying meal.

To begin, put the garlic, seasoning, bay leaf, red wine and lemon & lime juice into a shallow dish. Cut the liver into slices and immerse in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate to marinate overnight. Simples!!! I’ve got to say it looks very nice and smells delightful, I’m still a little unsure about the mix of ingredients but it shall be cooked up tonight and the verdict will be recorded. I think I’ll serve it with some white rice.

I still had to make dinner for myself though and moved on to the next recipe: Kidneys with Noodles. I’d already decided that I wasn’t going to serve this dish with noodles, as I had none in, and instead substitute them with some linguine, which I did have in. No point buying in lots of ingredients at extra cost when I could get away with using something I had already in the cupboard eh? The packet of kidneys cost me £1.12p!!! I used 4 last night (halved and cored) and have put the remaining 5 fromthe packet into the freezer for another day. This is the very first time I’ve prepared kidneys for myself and I was concerned about the core…every recipe I’d seen has strongly urged the reader to ensure the cores are removed a process that I didn’t find particularly easy! I eventually had to leave a tiny bit of the core in one or two of the halves and I was worried that it would effect the end result, however it didn’t so I won’t be as finicky next time!

Again this recipe is for 4 so I scaled it back for just little old me again!

75g/3oz Dried Noodles (I used Linguine)
Salt and Black Pepper
450g/1lb Lambs Kidneys, halved and cored
Plain Flour for coating75g/
3oz Butter
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
50g/2oz Mushrooms, sliced
150ml/5fl.oz. Lamb Stock
1 teasp Dried Mixed Herbs (I didn’t have in my plethora of spices so substituted with a little Thyme)

While boiling up the dried pasta I sauteed the onion and garlic in the melted butter for about three minutes, then added the mushrooms which I tossed around for a few seconds before adding the kidney halves, which had been coated in the flour. I kept the mixture moving for the next 2-3 minutes so it didn’t stick to the pan and slowly added the lamb stock and thyme…the smell by this point was a really rich meaty smell and I’m not ashamed to admit it really began to make me hungry! The sauce came to the boil so I turned the heat down and left to simmer for a further 3-4 minutes and then served over the drained pasta.

IT WAS SCRUMMY! The kidney flavour wasn’t overpowering which I was slightly worried about because they are a very strong flavour…they were perhaps a little undercooked for anyone else but me – I like my meat to be squidgy, my mum (for example) doesn’t – so I would cook them for perhaps another 3-4 minutes for her. Overall though, I’m pretty sure I’ll be making this dish again…maybe even for guests (although I think I’d have to check their stance on offal, it’s not the most popular cut of meat amongst my other 20 something friends!)

1 comment:

  1. Gretings from Angel's alter ego! Here are some sites I wombled:
    http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-015f.html
    http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0s595.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_offal.shtml
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/offal-recipes.aspx
    http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipebook/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewcategory&category_id=184&Itemid=2
    http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Category:Offal_recipes
    http://food.hubcom.com/recipe/cgi-win/recipe.exe?2$1$0$88

    Enjoy! People are soooo funny about offal but it makes really good eating.

    ReplyDelete