Monday 6 April 2009

Changing Shopping Habits...

After a spur of the moment defrosting of the freezer last week my stocks have run extremely low and I'm going to have to do a big shop at the supermarket in order to fill up again. The credit crunch is still raging so I've decided to try and gather some recipes for cheaper cuts of meat and offal in order to cut back on big bills! I enjoy offal but have previously only fried off a bit of liver to have in sandwiches (don't balk before you've tried it!!! I usually lather it in ketchup too which I'm only slightly ashamed of!) I've had the occasional kidney in a steak and kidney mix and my dad used to cook them up for a snack, but I've never put them into an actual recipe before so this should be interesting!

Searching around on the Internet has provided the usual liver and onions or liver and bacon recipes and I've also found a few other recipes which I was previously unfamiliar with - but they all seem a bit predictable! I know offal has been off the menu for a long time and was considered 'old fashioned' but surely someone has been writing recipes for liver / kidneys / heart etc?

The recipes I've collated are:

  • Liver Portuguese
  • Kidneys with Noodles
  • Curried Kidneys
  • Heart Ragout
  • Lambs Liver Stroganoff
  • Sauteed Lambs Kidneys with Mushrooms and Tarragon
  • Oxtail with Herb Dumplings
  • Lambs Kidney with two Mustard's
  • Kidneys in Fresh Tomato Sauce
  • Lambs Kidneys in Red Wine

I plan to try them two at a time...this week will be Liver Portuguese and Kidneys with Noodles, so I shall update on how they turn out. Does anyone have anything more exciting they can offer me? Perhaps with an oriental influence? I'm keen to keep the number and cost of ingredients down for the aforementioned reasons!!!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried updating faggots? Great things and full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh and I LIKE faggots...will have a good dig around for a recipe! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete