Wednesday 15 April 2009

Portuguese Liver the Finale…

I had an interruption in service last week in so much that my busy social schedule got in the way of me cooking up and gobbling up the Portuguese Liver dish that I prepared last week (see earlier post). It ended up in a plastic box in the freezer patiently waiting for another day…that day was yesterday!!!

Once defrosted I drained the marinade from the liver and kept it to one side; I have to tell you the smell was just so rich and zingy and I was really looking forward to testing the dish out! The liver was then fried for a couple of minutes in a dash of hot oil, turning occasionally. Usually when I fry liver it spits all over my kitchen and the clean up operation is extensive – because the liver had been in sauce and was not as dry as unprepared liver the spitting was minimal and didn’t make as much of a mess as normal…which I was quite pleased about because I had to go out almost immediately after wolfing down my dinner! Then I threw the marinade / sauce in and turned the heat up so that the liquid could boil and reduce for 10 minutes. I served with ordinary boiled long grain rice!

All in all the liver was a success, there was perhaps too much for me and as it’s such a rich meat I found myself spooning mouthfuls of rice and sauce and avoiding lots of the actual meat at once. The sauce itself is more citrusy than I expected and I’m more of a fan of it because of that fact! It dawned on me after eating the dish that there was no vegetable content whatsoever upon serving and this disturbed me somewhat! I was sat trying to think of what vegetable(s) I could serve with liver and rice and I’m still at a bit of a loss. Mushrooms perhaps? How nutritional can mushrooms be though? I’m pretty confident they are mostly water! Maybe some peas? However I’m not sure they would compliment the dish perfectly. Answers on a postcard please…..!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment